OU Norman Campus Institutional Review Board (IRB)
Institutional Commitment to the Protection of Human Research Participants
Welcome to the University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus Institutional
Review Board (OU-NC IRB) Web site. The OU-NC IRB serves the
Norman Campus, Tulsa Campus (non-medical) and Cameron University.
All research involving human participants that is conducted at or by
researchers affiliated with these campuses must comply with applicable
policies for the protection of human subjects.
All research involving human participants
must be reviewed and approved by the OU-NC IRB prior to
recruitment and data collection.
The Office of Human Research Participant Protection/IRB is located at One Partners Place 350 David L. Boren Blvd, Suite 1750 Norman, OK 73019.
The office hours, Monday – Friday, 7:30am – 5:00pm and office telephone number is (405)325-8110. The email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
The Office of Human Research Participant Protection launched a new and improved version of iRIS on Wednesday, October 8, 2014. The new version of software includes a more modern interface and new functionality improvements. These improvements will make it easier to submit a study.
Some of the enhancements include:
- Simplified document revision. Document uploads easier to work with. It works as a pop-up window rather than having to move through three different screens to upload an attach
- Stipulations that include a link to the section in question
- Home screen breaks tasks into groups with identifiable headers
Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's) Revisions
The SOP's have been revised to reflect changes and additional requirements associated with our accreditation standards. The majority of the changes are due to the implementation of the electronic information system instead of the paper submission system. The following is a list of SOP's that are new policies or include major changes that will impact the research community:
- SOP 412: National Cancer Institute Central Institutional Review Board - new policy developed to enhance our program and provide guidance.
- SOP 501: Special Populations - revised the policy to clarify criteria and added more information regarding students and employees as research participants and the use of student research pools.
- SOP 502K: International Research - new policy developed to enhance our program and provide guidance.
- SOP 502L: Internet Research & Social Media Research - new policy developed to enhance our program and provide guidance.
- SOP 602G: IRB of Record - revised the process and overview regarding reciprocal review between the HSC IRB and Norman IRB.
- SOP 603F: Department of Defense - clarified the process and added more information regarding consent and reporting requirements.
- SOP 603G: Other Federal Agencies-Specific Regulations - new policy developed to enhance our program and provide guidance.
- SOP 801: Investigator Qualifications & Responsibilities - added a new process for Staff to serve as Principal Investigators.
If you would like more information regarding training or the revisions to our SOP's, please contact our office at (405) 325-8110 or contact us by email at: email@example.com
Investigators not affiliated with the University of Oklahoma who wish to conduct research that involves either recruitment of participants
or other cooperation by the institution should contact the IRB for further instruction.
Permission will be granted as consistent with the institution's mission of teaching, research, and service.
Information Technology will perform routine monthly server maintenance on Saturday, December 20, 2014 from 7:00AM - 2:00PM.
This procedure is scheduled monthly to install security patches, perform upgrades and modifications, reboot systems and test fail-over capability.
Brief disruptions may occur for Internet connectivity, all websites hosted by HSC IT, Exchange email, file and print services, database services, and IRIS.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
Thank you for your patience.
Attention OU Researcher:
iRIS, the new IRB electronic submission system, is now live and available for use on the Norman Campus.
Click here for iRIS Login Instructions.
NOTE: INTERNET EXPLORER 10 AND IRIS ARE NOT COMPATIBLE!
Do NOT update Internet Explorer (IE) to version 10; this is NOT compatible with the iRIS electronic submission system.
If you have already updated to IE 10, you will need to either use Firefox or Chrome as your browser to work in iRIS, or have IT support staff roll your IE back to 9
Questions, Concerns, Suggestions
Join the IRB Mailing List
Notice of Privacy Practices and the HIPAA Privacy Complaint Forms are available on the HIPAA Website